Germantown Friends School is seeking a part-time Technical Director to support our Upper School theater program. Collaborating with the Directors of Drama and Technical Theatre, this technician would function as the Technical Director for each of four (4) upper school productions. This individual must be available to work evenings, weekends, and some afternoons in a supervisory role of upper school students. Specific calls include : Saturday workdays (4-6 hours each) for the 6 weeks prior to each production, as well as night and evening rehearsals two (2) weeks prior to each show. Performance dates for the 2017-18 Season are: November 9-11, March 8-12, April 9-10 & April 19-20.
- Leading work sessions with students 4-6 hours per weekend for the 6 weeks leading up to each show with an emphasis on student experience, learning, and safety
- Attending night/evening rehearsals for the two weeks leading up to each show to work with student technicians as well as the Artistic Director to tech the show, work out scene transitions with the run crew, and troubleshoot set, lighting, sound and/or video needs
- Communicating with both the Drama Director and Technical Theatre Director in order to advance the progress of the set construction or other technical needs of the show
- Undergraduate Degree in Technical Theatre or related field
- Professional theatre experience working as a stage technician
- Set construction and basic knowledge of theatrical lighting
- Theatre Design experience in two of the 3 major capacities: sets, costumes and/or lights
- Ability to Communicate effectively with high school-aged students
- Must maintain a flexible attitude and be willing to work collaboratively as part of a team of artist educators
- Must be able to effectively and safely manage students in teaching and production spaces
- Ability to lift 50lbs or more
- Teaching Experience a plus
Germantown Friends School is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in its student body, faculty and staff. The school does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected class status. People demonstrating a commitment to diversity and multiculturalism in education are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com