Middle School Athletics
Middle School Athletics are an integral part of our school curriculum. We believe in providing our students with the opportunity to learn about a variety of sports, to experience the lessons of teamwork and sportsmanship, and to develop fundamental skills and game strategies in an engaging and challenging atmosphere. Development and skill progression in Middle School sports are vital to the overall success of our entire athletic program.
- To promote and require sportsmanship at all times
- To provide a stimulating, enjoyable, and engaging atmosphere
- To teach fundamental sports skills and introduce game strategies
- To provide an opportunity for team and individual success
- To encourage self-discipline and a strong work ethic
- To promote a passion for athletic achievement and excellence
- To develop leadership, loyalty, commitment, and respect for oneself and peers
- To have fun, and to promote positive social, mental, and physical ability
Students are placed on teams that reflect their ability and/or grade level. Typically, GFS hosts A and B teams per sport with 6th-8th graders selected to the appropriate competition level. GFS Middle School Wrestling, Cross Country and Track & Field each have one team. When possible, we will field 6th grade teams.
All programs will have full practice schedules. Competition levels vary by team and program. Most teams will compete against other schools, while if needed some teams will be more developmental and have intramural competitions.
We value the sense of community, camaraderie, physical well-being, and skill development that come through participating in athletics at GFS. It is our expectation that all students will actively participate and will fulfill the athletic requirement.
Students have one week (4 practice days) at the start of each season to try different sports.
- Enthusiastic, professional teacher/coaches who provide an education that combines the best of our academic and athletic philosophy.
- Fall & Spring: general practice time is Monday-Thursday, 2:45-4:00 p.m.
- Winter: general practice time is Monday-Thursday, 2:45- 3:45 p.m.
- On game days, times will vary from the normal practice schedule.
- Parents of student athletes seeking information on uniforms and practice gear can find this information in the Parent portal.
- Middle School Athletics and Transportation Information 2017-18 Handout
Track & Field
Track & Field
- Seventh and eighth grade students are required to participate in two seasons of sports. Theater Movement Arts can be substituted for one sports season in winter.
- Sixth grade student participation is optional.
Students who have demonstrated an already-established, clear course of study, and solid commitment to an out-of-school sport that GFS does not offer may request an exemption from ONE athletic season per year at GFS.
Since this out-of-school sport would replace an existing part of the school curriculum, both family and school must give careful thought to such a decision.
Parents must complete an online Exemption Request Form.
The exemption will be equivalent in time commitment and rigor to participating in interscholastic sports for GFS. There should be a demonstrated competitive component or major performance schedule included in the request.
Supplemental physical education activities are not considered relevant for this requirement.
We support students in their passion and commitment to sports that we do not offer. We also are intentional in making the athletic requirement and physical education curricular work separate, in line with our philosophy to provide multiple opportunities to be physical each day.