Germantown Friends School is seeking a Lower School Substitute Teacher who will be responsible for providing instruction, managing the classroom environment, and promoting student learning in the absence of the regular teacher. When there is not a need for a substituting role, this individual also supports students who are in need of extra support in the classroom.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teaches scheduled classes and prepares a written summary of work completed.
- Assumes all duties and responsibilities of the absent teacher.
- Follows the teacher’s written lesson plans. Consults with the office staff to resolve questions and/or concerns.
- Upholds and complies with building procedures and schedules. Promotes the proper use of school property.
- Makes the absent teacher aware of special situations or problems encountered.
- Implements effective management procedures.
- Maintains high standards and upholds school rules.
- Intervenes and/or reports concerns to an administrator.
- Develops and maintains a positive learning environment and works cooperatively with staff and parents.
- Respects personal privacy. Maintains the confidentiality of privileged information.
- Ensures staff/student safety. Does not leave students unsupervised. Supervises other students when assigned.
- Supports students as assigned by the Lower School Director, Lead Teachers, or Office Assistants.
- Performs other job-related duties as directed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in education or related field
- Ability to follow and communicate both oral and written directions and instructions.
- Ability to effectively manage time and responsibilities.
- Ability to be professional in appearance, attitude, and demeanor.
- Possesses a state teaching license
- Master’s Degree
While performing the duties of this position, the employee regularly works inside with some outdoor duties. The individual is directly responsible for the safety, well-being, and work output of students. This individual works under the direction of the Lower School Director, other Lead Teachers, and the Lower School office staff. This person is evaluated by teachers and the Lower School Director.
Attributes of a Successful Candidate:
- High quality interpersonal skills to build rapport and trust with all staff members
- Energetic, enthusiastic, team player, flexible thinker
- High visibility with staff and accessibility to students
- Thoughtful decision-making and problem solving skills
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Lifelong learning role model
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact info of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “LS Substitute Teacher” in the subject line.
Germantown Friends School is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in its student body, faculty, and staff. The school does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class status. People demonstrating a commitment to diversity and multiculturalism in education are encouraged to apply. For more information about the school, please visit our website at www.germantownfriends.org.
Germantown Friends School is a Quaker, independent, co-educational day school, serving early childhood‐12th grade. Located in northwest Philadelphia, the school is home to a vibrant intellectual community, located in a historic neighborhood, serving a diverse school community, with a robust educational program that is grounded in Quaker principles. For more information about the school, visit www.germantownfriends.org.