The art department invites the GFS community to participate in the 2020 Art Show.
Drawing by Luna Hamrahi '20
The art department invites the GFS community to participate in the 2020 Art Show by making artwork and a short written statement responding to the following prompt.
Visually respond to the idea that we look out of windows in order to look within and that art represents the linking or the connection of all people. We invite you to make an artwork (draw, paint, build, film...) of what you see out of your window and show us what it feels like to be in this month of this year in this city.
*See the guidelines for submission and inspiration below.
1. Submissions due on Tuesday, May 26, 2020.
2. Your 2020 Art Show submission needs to include two things:
- A photo of a work of art that responds to the prompt.
- A short statement about what you see when you look out of your window and your neighborhood and city/town. Here is a slideshow for suggestions on process and some images for inspiration.
3. Photographing your work can be done with your phone. Please follow all of the advice below. The documenting of your work will be a very important part of the success of this virtual art show. Here is a how-to video that explains how to take a good photo of your work, featuring our very own Sarah Zwerling.
Important reminders for photographing your work:
- Photograph on a flat surface with indirect light.
- Be patient and try multiple shots before picking the very best image.
- Email your image at actual size
- If your artwork is on thin paper(translucent) and your wall or floor is dark you might want to put a white piece of paper or white piece of fabric down under your piece to brighten your artwork.
- If you need more light on your artwork you may need to try more advanced techniques such as a white card that allows window light to bounce from the card onto your image. Photo tips with image examples.
4. When your project is completed please submit the following via email:
- A well-taken photo of your work
- A short statement (2 -3 sentences) about what you see out of your window
- Note your neighborhood and city
Send to: Megan Culp at firstname.lastname@example.org with Art Show 2020 in the subject line.