Middle School (6-8)
We welcome you to the Middle School (grades 6-8) Admissions process, and we appreciate your interest in GFS for your child. We are here to help you through the process and happy to answer any questions you may have.
- Parent Interview (and Tour)
- Student Visit(s) to GFS
- Confidential Teacher Recommendations
- Admissions Testing
- Submit Transcript and School Records
- Writing Sample
- Decision and Enrollment Timeline
Families must submit the application by December 7, 2018, and all steps of the application process must be completed by January 7, 2019 to be considered for first-round review. After submitting the application, we will assist in gathering the required additional components to complete the applicant’s file for review.
If you prefer to track your application process online (and conserve resources), please apply online. You will be asked to set up a username and password, which will allow you to complete, edit, and review your application before electronically submitting it to us.
After you have submitted your application, please call the Admissions Office to arrange your interview. The parent interview is a chance for you to find out more about GFS and for us to find out about your child. The interview includes a tour of our campus. We ask both parents to come together when possible.
Please contact the Admissions Office at 215-951-2345 to schedule a visit day as soon as you apply because visit days fill up quickly. Student visit days begin in October. All student visits begin at 8 a.m. in the Admissions Office. Applicants to grades 7-12 must complete a short pre-visit form prior to their visit day.
Applicants to 6th, 7th and 8th grade visit in their current grades. Students visit for a full day with one of our student hosts. They attend classes and are encouraged to participate in activities. Visitors should wear comfortable clothes and sneakers. We will provide a lunch ticket for use in our cafeteria. The visit day for 7th and 8th grade applicants is concluded with a brief and informal interview with one of our admissions directors.
Students who are admitted to GFS are invited to revisit for a half day in February. Applicants to 6th, 7th and 8th grades can revisit to the grade they are applying for, so they can get a sense of what the next year would be like.
Please give the recommendation forms directly to your child’s current academic teacher(s) and request that they are returned directly to GFS before January 7, 2019.
Applicants to grades 6-12 must submit two recommendations from the student’s current primary academic subject teachers; one recommendation must be from the student’s current math teacher.
Middle School applicants must take the SSAT (Secondary School Admission Test) or the ISEE (Independent School Entrance Exam).
Test results are to be sent directly to GFS. To prevent delays, please be sure to list GFS as a score recipient when you register for testing.
- Families who have completed the application process by January 7, 2019 will be notified in writing of the admission decision by February 1, 2019. Thereafter, applications are considered on a rolling basis as they become complete.
- By common agreement among most area independent schools, families whose children receive an offer of admission by February 1, 2019 have until March 1, 2019 to accept or decline the offer.
- To enroll your child you must return the Enrollment Contract with a non-refundable deposit of $750.00 per child by March 1. This is the first payment of the tuition bill. All payment plans will be billed and administered by the FACTS Management Company.