Middle School Athletics are an integral part of our school curriculum. We believe in providing our students with the opportunity to learn about a variety of sports, to experience the lessons of teamwork and sportsmanship, and to develop fundamental skills and game strategies in an engaging and challenging atmosphere. Development and skill progression in Middle School sports are vital to the overall success of our entire athletic program.
- To promote and require sportsmanship at all times
- To provide a stimulating, enjoyable, and engaging atmosphere
- To teach fundamental sports skills and introduce game strategies
- To provide an opportunity for team and individual success
- To encourage self-discipline and a strong work ethic
- To promote a passion for athletic achievement and excellence
- To develop leadership, loyalty, commitment, and respect for oneself and peers
- To have fun, and to promote positive social, mental, and physical ability
Students are placed on teams that reflect their ability and/or grade level. Typically, GFS hosts A and B teams per sport with 6th-8th graders selected to the appropriate competition level. GFS Middle School Wrestling, Cross Country and Track & Field each have one team. When possible, we will field 6th grade teams.
All programs will have full practice schedules. Competition levels vary by team and program. Most teams will compete against other schools, while if needed some teams will be more developmental and have intramural competitions.
We value the sense of community, camaraderie, physical well-being, and skill development that come through participating in athletics at GFS. It is our expectation that all students will actively participate and will fulfill the athletic requirement.
Students have one week (4 practice days) at the start of each season to try different sports.