Middle School Program Objectives
Athletics are an integral part of Germantown Friends School, from physical education to inter-school competition.
On this page you will find an organized list of the objectives that we strive to achieve with our Middle School student-athletes. These ideals help make our community of TIGERS one we can all be proud of.
We believe in providing our students with the opportunity to learn about a variety of sports, to experience the lessons of teamwork and sportsmanship, and to develop fundamental skills and game strategies in an engaging and challenging atmosphere. Development and skill progression in Middle School sports are vital to the overall success of our entire athletic program.
- Athletics at GFS partners with nine Friends Schools League schools on Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives, connecting with other Middle School coaches in the area.
- GFS coaches provide developmentally appropriate strength & conditioning workouts, which make fitness fun and engaging for students.
- Middle School Athletics offers introductory sessions to sports such as squash, wrestling, field hockey, and more.
- Dynamic warm ups give students a strong foundation for movement, balance, and core strength, and prepare them to move into the Upper School Athletics program.
- Athletics staff are working to enhance the sports requirement to address the needs of our sixth graders, including those who are trying new sports.
- At GFS, we are increasing competitive options at the A level.
- The Athletics program addresses the transition from Middle to Upper School in a holistic way, connecting with Upper School program and Varsity coaches.
Middle School Athletics/Activities
Middle School athletics/activities run Monday through Friday, from 2-3:30 p.m. We look forward to having our student-athletes back and in competition this fall. Coaches are in the process of determining teams and game and competition schedules will be shared. Coaches have shared attire and equipment requirements with students.