Martin Luther King Day of Service
Social Justice in the Midst of a Health Crisis
January 18, 2021
Opportunities from 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
All Germantown Friends School students, families, faculty, and staff are welcome to join our virtual MLK Day of Service—designed to encourage participants to learn, support, and connect. Join us for the full day of workshops or for as many components as you are able. And please fill our padlet with pictures and reflections from the day.
9 a.m. Keynote
Featuring Dr. Aletha Akers
Dr. Akers is the Vice President of Research at the Guttmacher Institute. She will speak to the health disparities highlighted by the COVID-19 pandemic and what we can do as a community to improve health outcomes for everyone.
9 A.M. - 12 P.M. COMMUNITY DRIVES
Drive-up and Drop-off on the main campus supporting two organizations, Face to Face Germantown and Cradles to Crayons.
- Toiletry Kits
- Snack Packs
- Reading Glasses
- Children’s Clothing
10:15-11 A.M. WORKSHOP BLOCK A
- Let’s Talk About Racism - Join Michelle Palmer, Director of the Breakthrough Program at GFS, as she facilitates a discussion on the experience, perpetuation, and disruption of racism, as well as how to be an upstander.
- Bias in Healthcare - Join GFS alumnus, Dr. Daniel Taylor, of St. Christopher's Hospital for Children and Drexel University College of Medicine, as he discusses his experience participating in a study that uncovered his racial bias.
- Healthy Eating - Healthy Eating - Join the Bynum family, owners of Warmdaddy's and South, for a cooking class on healthy eating.
- Assembling Toiletry Kits - Upper School students Ethan Young and Oscar Schwartz will demonstrate how to put together a snack and toiletry kit, decorate the bag, and read a story.
- Racial Health Disparities - Join Middle School Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Club members to discuss health disparities highlighted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
11:15 A.M. WORKSHOP BLOCK B
- Social Justice Stories - Join GFS Director of Library Services Kate Garrity for stories on racism and social justice; listen live or listen to pre-recorded stories.
- Mental Health - Join GFS Lower School Counselor Brittany Copeland for a discussion on mental health in the Black Community.
- Civil Rights Activism - Learn about the life and work of Bayard Rustin.
- Art with Lili - Join GFS Art Teacher Lili Sharpless to bring joy through an exploratory art project!
- Baking Fun - Students Ethan Young and Oscar Schwartz will create delicious baked goods to be donated to the Germantown Community Fridge.
12-1 P.M. ENJOY LUNCH AT HOME!
1 P.M. MOVIE SCREENING AND TED TALKS
- Race: The Power of An Illusion - A documentary on race and racism
- What Counts - A health documentary
- Implicit Bias - Dushaw Hockett - TED Talk
- Gentrification - Liz Ogbu - TED Talk
- Black Lives Matter - Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors, and Opal Tometi - TED Talk
- Racism - Heather McGhee - TED Talk
TED Talks for Children:
- A Pep Talk - Kid President
- What Adults Can Learn From Kids - Adora Svitak
- How I Built A Windmill - William Kamkwamba
- How I Harnessed the Wind - William Kamkwamba
- Want to Be An Activist? - McKenna Pope
- Meet A Young Entrepreneur, Cartoonist, Designer, Activist - Maya Penn
Share your reflections of the movie or TED Talk you screened today using this padlet.